Mask Policy And Safety Requirements
All participants are required to show proof of vaccination OR a negative COVID19 test from no more than 3 days before the day you pick up your badge. This will be a requirement to pick up your badge. If you have your vaccine information verified by CLEAR, Common Pass, or Excelsior Pass, that will be accepted (and is recommended to speed along the registration process). If you have another vaccine verification app, please email us at email@example.com so we can verify that will work.
If you purchased an early start, we will be sending you an email where you will be able to upload your vaccination information. If you prefer to provide a negative test or check-in in person, your mailing cost will be refunded to you. All participants are required to wear masks. Hotel staff, convention staff, HBCUCON directors and crew, vendors, artists, exhibitors, any human over the age of 2 must have a mask on at all times (with the exception of eating or drinking). This policy will be strictly enforced. There may be specific locations for the consumption of drinks/food. Please note, you cannot take off your mask for photos unless you are outside.
- Fully cover both your mouth and nose. If you do not have a nose, this also includes beaks, trunks, nostril slits, or snouts.
- Be made with at least 2 layers of breathable material. This does not include mesh.
- Fit snugly but comfortably against the side of the face
- Be secured with ties or ear loops and allow you to remain hands-free
Masks must not
- be neck gaiters, t-shirts pulled up over your face, bandanas or scarves – CDC guidance says these do not do an adequate job of blocking particles
- have a release valve – valves expel your exhaled air and thus are not useful in stopping the spread of COVID19
- have holes or be made of mesh, tulle, screen material, organza, etc.
If you are unsure if your mask qualifies under this policy, it probably doesn’t, but you can send a picture to firstname.lastname@example.org to be sure.
If you’ve somehow managed to go a year and a half without a mask and need one, we will have disposable masks available at the door for $1. We will also have custom reusable HBCUCON masks available for sale at the HBCUCON store. Pricing TBA.
Additional Details & Protocols
- To minimize risk, eating and drinking may be restricted to certain areas. If that is the case, signage will mark where you can and cannot eat
- To assist with those who may be hard of hearing, panelists will be provided face shields while on stage. While presenting, they may remove their masks, but must wear the face shield.
- Microphones/face shields will be wiped down between uses
- Hand sanitizer stands will be available throughout the HBCUCON Assigned Area for attendees.
- To account for Social Distancing, wider aisles have been planned. Social Distancing of 6ft throughout is highly encouraged. Wherever you can, please leave distance between yourself and others, and minimize physical contact like hugs, handshakes, and high fives while interacting with others.
- Please do not attend if you are experiencing any COVID19 (or any other illness!) symptoms.
- If you begin feeling unwell while at the convention, please head to Assigned Medical Area so they can check you out and determine if you need to leave or not. Based on the situation, we will offer discounts/credit for a future year.
- Wash your hands frequently/shower/etc
- Bear in mind that guests will have varying levels of comfort with human contact. We will do our best to communicate ahead of time what each guests’ requests are. It is possible that they may change their preferences during the convention to be more or less restrictive. Please be patient and understanding so that the guest will feel comfortable and want to come back in future years!
If you are feeling unwell at the time of the convention, STAY HOME and then email us at email@example.com. We are happy to roll your membership over to next year.
Everything is tentative and subject to change based on the latest science and CDC guidelines. Updates may be made at any time.